Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank a Vet

Today Sean's school had a Veterans Day assembly. The first graders sang a song that Sean's been practicing for a few weeks now (sample lyrics: "If you love your country thank a vet"), the high school's ROTC showed the students how to fold a flag, the mayor popped by -- Sean was very impressed.

He came home filled with questions about veterans, and soldiers (he's a little unclear on the difference), and weapons, and branches of the military. And he wanted to make a phone call.

"Can I call Uncle B tonight? I want to thank him for serving our country." (Jeff's uncle is a retired army lieutenant colonel; he served in the Vietnam War and the first Gulf War.)

So after dinner, he called his great uncle. I wish I could have recorded his portion of the conversation. Here's an approximate transcription:

"Hi, it's Sean. I just wanted to let you know that we had an assembly for Veterans Day. And there were high schoolers there, and they want to be veterans when they get out of high school.... Are you still there? ... And so I want to thank you for serving our country. I'm proud of you for doing that. I think that's being a risk-taker, right, Mom?"

(Picture me, nodding vigorously.)

"And I wanted to know if you'd like to come to Thanksgiving dinner." (Which is at my sister's house this year. You know, the other side of the family.)

(Pause)

"Okay, then, well, I know it's early, but since I won't see you, Happy Thanksgiving!"

I think I'm kind of proud of you, too, Sean.