Sunday, November 04, 2007

So They DO Listen to Me Occasionally

I admit that I have certain verbal tics, phrases that I use over and over again without even realizing it.

My kids appear to have picked up on a few of them.

Earlier this evening Sean was bugging asking me about what he could have for snack. I was trying to steer him away from yet another piece of Halloween candy. And I was on the phone. So I told him that we'd discuss it in a little while.

About 15 minutes later, I was still on the phone. (My kids are never ones to let that interfere with their pressing concerns.) Sean approached me, and said briskly, "Okay, about this snack discussion...."

It's a little disconcerting to hear him sounding like a 38-year-old.

Allie made me smile in self-recognition today, too.

I don't remember what the exact circumstance was, but it could have been anything, really -- getting in the car, brushing her teeth, eating lunch, putting her shoes on -- just an ordinary activity or plan that she did not feel like participating in. "No, I'm NOT doing it, and that's the deal."

I just hope that I don't sound quite so snotty when I tell my kids what the deal is.