Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Four Years

Today my little girl turns 4.

If I were a more reflective, thoughtful mother I'd have a beautiful birthday letter for her. Instead, I am still trying to get the birthday girl to stay in her bed instead of popping up every 2 minutes. And I am still tending to the saddest batch of cupcakes I've ever made. I'm glad that they are intended for a preschool audience and not anyone with aesthetic standards for their baked goods. Did you know that those ruffly little paper cups actually serve a purpose other than generating needless trash? And that proceeding with the cupcake baking even after realizing that you don't have any more little cups is ill advised? Because removing cupcakes from even a nonstick pan coated with nonstick cooking spray results in cupcakes that look like they've been pecked to death by seagulls?

Of course you did.

Happy Birthday, my sweet girl, my indomitable force to be reckoned with. I have no doubt that you will take the world by storm.