Friday, September 14, 2007

Puzzle Me This

I am not a puzzle person. The prospect of methodically assembling puzzle pieces into a whole does not entice me. After all that effort, what do you have? A picture that you will disassemble and put back in the box. This is not very Zen of me, I know, but in this respect I am all about the destination, not the journey.

My nephew, on the other hand, loves puzzles. The more complicated the puzzle, the better. He has a gift for putting things together that frankly I am in awe of. He's just 10, but his spatial awareness and logical mind have long been in evidence.

Lately, he's been building three-dimensional puzzles. I admit that having a hefty building as the culmination of all that effort rather than a flat picture is appealing. But to get there? To be faced with THIS at the outset?




Makes me want to weep uncontrollably.

My nephew, however, is thoroughly undaunted by the 3000 pieces it will take to assemble a facsimile of Venice. I told him to take a picture of the puzzle when he's done building it. If he does, I'll post the photo here.