Friday, August 03, 2007

A Few Surfside Observations

I encourage you to embrace my new philosophy: Sand -- It Comes Off Eventually, You Know. I have found that not freaking out about the sand in every crevice of my children's bodies has made my beach demeanor much more pleasant.

I continue to be amazed at how much work it is to bring young kids to the beach. However, each year it gets a little bit easier, at least while they're just playing in the above-mentioned sand. And that is because...

A rough surf and strong undertow could still swipe away those small bodies in a flash.

If you feel a burning sensation in part of your skin, it's not merely because it's on the part of your body facing the sun. It is probably the result of your skin ACTUALLY BURNING and perhaps you should consider beating a hasty retreat to the beach umbrella.

And a corollary: It's best to ensure that you don't glop on the sunscreen haphazardly in an attempt to leave the house already.

At the beach, every day for me is a bad hair day.