Saturday, December 30, 2006

Quick Holiday Rundown

'Twas a great Christmas. The kids loved all of their presents and were suitably enthusiastic about the whole Christmas deal. We spent Christmas Eve at my sister's house, where Sean somehow managed to drop his new Lightning McQueen car out my sister's bedroom window. Fortunately some mulch cushioned the fall. Christmas Day was pretty quiet; after the joyous sleeping in till 9:00, we opened presents and ate homemade French toast for breakfast. Well, some of us ate French toast; others of us (*cough*Sean*cough) took one bite and spit it out, proclaiming it "too wet". So much for this Christmas morning tradition that I had hoped to start.
Jeff took Sean and Allie to visit his grandparents, I baked some cookies, and then my mom came over for dinner -- lasagna, just like last year, since I didn't want to spend the entire day in the kitchen cooking a turkey dinner. As it turns out, of course, between the French toast and the cookies and the lasagna and the cleanup, where did I spent just about my entire day? Right, the kitchen. Still, it was quite a nice day.

My favorite gifts were seasons 1 and 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (from Jeff). The zenith of television, I tell you. I also received some very delectable books: One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson, The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, and Re-Readings by Anne Fadiman.

Having just returned from a visit to Jeff's parents in Pittsburgh, I'm looking forward to some quiet time at home before real life begins again. Tonight I just want to sit in front of our tree and start reading some of my new books. I'll be catching up with you all very soon.

Happy New Year!