Thursday, October 19, 2006

Arrivederci

Have you seen a whirling dervish darting all over the eastern seaboard? That would be me.

What with preparing for the trip, tending to generalized travel jitters (Ack! Haven't been on a plane in 6 years!), tying up loose work ends, tidying up the house in preparation for two sets of babysitters, and contending with some abandonment issues, I've been a bit of a mess over the past few days.

I waited till today to break the news to Sean and Allie. It didn't go over especially well. Allie threw me a bone by saying "I want you to stay with me" before moving right along to more important matters. Sean's taking it much harder. He cried when I told him I was going away for a few days, and no matter what spin I spun (fun with his aunt and uncle, etc.), he wasn't buying it. He's clung to me throughout the day, sighing "But I don't want you to leave" with a catch in his voice, tears welling up in his eyes.

I have to swallow my own tears because I don't want to upset him further.

I know this will be a fun trip, and I really will look forward to it. Starting tomorrow, after I say goodbye.

See you all when I get back!