Saturday, September 16, 2006

This Little Critter Went to Market

I may have mentioned that I am not the best role model when it comes to a well-balanced diet. I do try to set a good example, but largely my approach can best be summarized as "Here, eat these fruits and vegetables that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole."

It's not completely hopeless. I do eat apples. And carrots and corn and celery. Oh, and guess what the other vegetable, the one I eat every day, is?

Raw spinach that may or may not be laced with Escherichia coli.

Figures.

(Warning: not-so-seamless transition ahead) I edited a manuscript several years ago that concerned an outbreak of E. coli spread through raspberries. In that manuscript I encountered what is to this day still my favorite digusting term, "manure slurry." Yum.

The more I learn about farming, the less I want to eat anything at all.