Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Car Conversations (Or: The Flip Side of That Other Post I Wrote about Sibling Bonds)


Allie: Look, Sean, you're wearing a blue shirt.
Sean: No, Allie, it's red.

(Context: Sean is wearing a red shirt. Allie knows her colors but is exercising her God-given right to be ornery.)

Allie (laughing): Blue! Blue! You're wearing a blue shirt!
Sean (rising to the bait like a fish): NO I'M NOT! IT'S RED!
Allie: Blue shirt! I like your blue shirt!
Sean: (Raises his hand as if to strike Allie)
Me: (Threateningly) Sean! No hitting!
Sean: Allie, I'm ignoring you.
Allie: No, you're not!
Sean: YES I AM! I ALREADY DID IGNORE YOU!
Allie: No, you didn't.
Sean: YES I DID! I IGNORED YOU!
Allie: No, you didn't.
Sean: YES!

This scene continued for a few more rounds until I suggested that they both ignore each other silently. Who needs the radio when you travel with your own personal Laurel and Hardy?