Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This Post Has No Real Reason for Being

I had every intention of working tonight. But since one of the more junior members of the household apparently absconded with my pica ruler to points unknown and is currently unavailable for questioning, here I am.

So. Dum dee dum dee dum. (In case you're wondering, the preceding interlude should be read with the inflection of Peter Gabriel in "I Know What I Like (in Your Wardrobe)".)

Oh, I know! An anecdote to tide us over till a real topic strikes me.

I took down all the Christmas decorations today. I always find this to be a dispiriting yet emotionally null process, best accomplished with ruthless efficiency. Sean made the job marginally more fun by taking several ornaments and concocting elaborate play scenarios for them. I couldn't quite follow it all, but some of the ornaments lived in a tin, others tried knocking on the "door" of the tin, climbed the wall of the tine, fell inside the tin, and played hockey with the ornaments in the tin. Or something like that.

He also rediscovered our R2D2 ornament. Oh, yes, we really do have one. And a Millenium Falcon ornament that lights up. (Each year Jeff expresses hurt feelings over the fact that these ornaments wind up in less-than-conspicuous parts of the tree.) Sean has never seen Star Wars or played with any of the Official Licensed Products, but I fear those innocent days may be ending. He LOVES this ornament.

After Jeff came home from work, he showed Sean some Internet photos of R2D2, along with sound clips so Sean could hear R2D2's beeps. I think Sean was a little disappointed over R2D2's mode of communication. "But can you make him TALK, Daddy?"

All the while, Allie was hovering next to the computer, chirping "Is that Me-Too-Me-Too, Daddy? Does Me-Too-Me-Too talk, Daddy? I want to see Me-Too-Me-Too!"

As Sean was falling asleep, he turned to me and said, "Well, as you know, Mommy, I really like R2D2."

There you go, George Lucas. Another convert.