Friday, November 25, 2005

Unrelated Anecdotes

A Heartwarming Thanksgiving Conversation

Me: You know, Sean, on Thanksgiving I like to think about all the things that I am thankful for.

Sean: Oh.

Me: One of the things I am most thankful for is that I have you and Allie in my life.

Sean: Well, one of things I am most thankful for [I am already smiling at the anticipated reciprocity] is all my toys.

Me: Oh.

In a Popularity Contest between Purple and Red, Guess Who Wins?

We serendipitously stumbled upon a holiday parade today. Nothing fancy, just a few firetrucks, teenagers in bedraggled furry costumes, and the prerequisite Santa. Upon seeing Barney, Allie nearly exploded with joy. She waved with all her might, calling "Hi, Barney!" over and over again. When he waved back, I could tell she thought that she was the luckiest girl in the world. Sean was pretty excited, too.

The reaction to Santa, high atop the cherry picker on the fire truck, the VIP of the parade?

Me: Look, guys, it's Santa! And Mrs. Claus! On the firetruck!

Sean and Allie: Oh.

I suppose St. Nick needs better exposure on PBS before he can achieve true culture saturation with this toddler/preschool audience.