Monday, November 14, 2005

Music Lessons

Continuing along our Beatles curriculum, I've recently begun discussing with Sean (and Allie, but she isn't too interested yet) the individual members of the band. We have been scrutinizing their photos, have discussed which instrument each one plays, and have begun identifying which songs they sing. Sean has already grasped that Ringo (or, as he called him at first, "Bingo") doesn't sing a heck of a lot. I've been using the Beatles Anthology book for photographic guidance, but prudish parent that I am, I've made sure we avoid the latter part of the book, with its uncensored photo of John and Yoko's Two Virgins album cover.

Rubber Soul is the album of choice these days. Every day, Sean solemnly gives me the rundown: "John sings 'Norwegian Wood', and Paul sings 'You Won't See Me. But he does not sing 'Nowhere Man.''" Today I tried explaining the difference between main vocals and backup vocals. I'm not quite sure he understands this yet.

One of the more delightful aspects of this educational journey has been listening to Sean mangle Beatles lyrics. In the bathtub tonight, for example, he sang a Sean-ified version of "In My Life." When he got to the lines "I know I'll often stop and think about them," he sang, "I know I'll stop and shop and think about them."

Our grocery store recently changed hands; it's now a Stop and Shop. It fits so well with the song, don't you think?