Monday, November 14, 2005

Blogger Playdate

Yesterday I got the chance to meet the fabulous Landismom from Bumblebee Sweet Potato. Turns out we live just a few towns apart!

I'm always nervous about meeting new people, but when the new person is someone whose blog I've long admired and who is both smart and politically engaged, my insecurity ramps up even more. As it turns out, I shouldn't have worried.

We met at a local playground. Sean immediately became enamored with LM's 6-year-old daughter (maybe it was her to-die-for red boots!), and I was similarly charmed by her 2-year-old son. What cute and energetic and funny kids!

The playground was a huge one -- so huge that our conversation was routinely interrupted by comments like "Okay, now where did Sean/Allie go?" or "Hold on, I'll be right back." The kids seemed to have a blast and ran around for about an hour and a half. Of course, LM was smart enough to bring water to rehydrate her kids; Sean's reproachful look when he discovered that I had forgotten to pack water clearly said, "How did we end up with the loser mom?"

I always wonder if my online "persona" matches my real-life one in any way. In Landismom's case, she is indeed as cool as you might gather from her blog. Since I am about as cool as Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, I hope she didn't find me to be too much of a dork!