Sunday, October 16, 2005

It Is Happening Again*

Drat. Just when I thought it was safe to dip my toe in the blogging waters again, I'm having to retreat back to shore. Awaiting me there is not a lazy day on the beach blanket but rather another week of a drastic editing workload compounded by solo parenting while Jeff is in Germany for work.

One of these days I am going to have a talk with my body about how it responds to stress. Because the chest pains that I get when I'm stressed? SO not fun. (I've had them checked out in the past, and it really is just stress. Still, kind of annoying.)

Before I bid adieu, two movie threads.

I went to the movies last night. (Pause for dramatic effect while audience gasps in surprise.) I think the last time I entered a theater was in the spring to see Revenge of the Sith. My friend M and I went to see In Her Shoes. LOVED it. Funny and touching and weepy, but not in a sappy Steel Magnolias kind of way. I also enjoyed playing "Spot the Philadelphia location" throughout the movie. The city looked gorgeous on film, even in the gray of winter.

And yet. If you've read the book, you know that the Toni Collette character is supposed to be overweight. Toni Collette reportedly gained a lot of weight so that she looked like an average woman. In Hollywood terms, I suppose "average" is better than "emaciated". Still, her body looked, in fact, very much like, umm, mine. And though I'd love to be a little thinner, I really don't think my weight is something to be concerned about. A scene in which Cameron Diaz hurls a "Fat pig" insult at her sister just comes across as ludicrous.

To continue the movie theme, Sean, Allie, and I watched The Muppet Movie today. (By which I mean Sean and I watched the movie and Allie ignored it.) I hadn't seen it in years. Oh.My.Goodness. I had forgotten what a sublime delight it is! Sean didn't get most of it, but he especially loved Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. Continuing the pangs of nostalgia that I wrote about in my last post, I cried when Kermit sang "Rainbow Connection" at the beginning of the movie -- it's one of the songs I sang to Sean and Allie every night as I rocked them to sleep. I sang it to them again along with Kermit; I wonder if they will remember it as they get older.

Off to work now. If all goes well, I'll check back in mid-week (isn't it amazingly hubristic of me to think that anyone cares?).

*TV trivia time! What show is this line from?