Thursday, September 01, 2005

Postponing the Trivial Post I Had Planned

I don't have many coherent thoughts about the aftermath of Katrina. Taking my emotional temperature yields high degrees of sorrow, rage, incredulity. And a pervasive sense of complete hopelessness.

Although I rarely watch TV news, I think in times of crisis, the immediacy of television can be more powerful than static images and text. And I think it's the least I can do, to bear witness, to make sure I do not just go about my daily life as if nothing has happened.

And yet once again I'm reminded of why I don't watch TV news. Couldn't the networks for ONCE stop using devastation and horror as a tool with which to grab higher ratings? I don't CARE about your exclusive coverage. It's craven, despicable, to toot your own horn now.

Today I received an e-mail from Move On with a link to a site, Hurricaine Housing, on which you can offer housing for people who have lost their homes. They prefer that the sponsors live within a reasonable driving distance of Gulf region (about 300 miles). If you might be able to help, check it out.

As for me, I did one of the few things I could: donate to the Red Cross. It seems too small a gesture.

Edited to add: The generous, insightful duo who write at the blog Been There have offered their site as a clearing house for anyone who might be able to contribute children's clothing or toys to families hit by Katrina. Go here for more info.

Another addendum: Some relief distribution centers in Houston might be able to use donations.