Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Nothing to Report

Time flies when nothing exciting seems to happen. We had an extremely quiet weekend, quiet, that is, except for the shrieks emanating from Sean whenever he heard the words "How about you use the potty now?" I'm not sure what this is all about. His grandparents were visiting this weekend, and I wonder if the extra people around made him reluctant to leave the fray for such indignities as bathroom duty.

It was one of those weekends where I had really wanted to do fun-for-the-whole-family activities and wound up barely leaving the house. Several fall festivals were taking place, but their hours just weren't conducive to families with a child who naps from 12 to 2. And then there's the cognitive dissonance of attending a fall festival when it's 90 degrees Fahrenheit out.

My one outing was a pretty fruitful one. A neighboring town has a huge library sale each year. It's considered a Big Event for the town. Oh, what a haul! This had to be the best library sale I've ever been to. I bought 20 books for me and 4 books for the kids for $14. I had wanted more kids books, but the crowd was so thick around those tables that I could barely reach my hand in. And I didn't even scratch the surface of the fiction tables. (Iliana, I did in fact think of you while I was at the sale! You would have loved it.) There's something really invigorating about seeing so many people scrambling over one another to find books.

Well, we’re off the preschool shortly, and I have to interrupt the fashion show of winter wear that Sean's been putting on so that we can find something suitable for today's warm weather.