Wednesday, August 24, 2005

What I Did on My Trip to New England

Part 2: Blogger Meetup

I knew I was dealing with a gracious lady when my requests to change 1) the day and, later, 2) the time of our get-together were accommodated cheerfully. And the sudden, unexplained closure of our destination? Not a problem, either, for Phantom had already thought of a backup plan by the time Jeff and I passed her car near the void-of-visitors parking lot.

Like I said, I had been a little nervous beforehand -- this was the first time I'd ever met another blogger, and the get-together was with Phantom, for heaven's sake. But Phantom is so easy to talk to and, well, just plain nice that I was able to send my feelings of inadequacy packing.

Oh, and her kids! LG was a bit shy at first, but I could tell that with just a little encouragement he could be the life of the party. He was cute and charming and funny, especially with the tall tales that Phantom recounted in her post. His account of his Day out with Thomas the Frickin Tank Engine was so enticing that Sean announced that he, too, had ridden on Thomas. Which, of course, he has NOT.

Baby Blue has the most adorable smile. She was calm and serene the entire time -- I couldn't help but be impressed, for I have no experience with babies possessing such a demeanor! In contrast, Allie sat still for about 3 minutes to eat her ice cream and then spent the rest of the time giving her father a heart attack as she explored the bank of the creek behind us and the parking lot in front of us. (At this point I should publicly thank Jeff for running interference with the kids so that I could talk to Phantom for more than 30 seconds at a time.)

Toward the end of our visit, Allie treated us to her personalized version of "Elmo's World," entitled "Allie's World." (And in the car later that day, she sang "La la la la la, la la la la, [LG's real name]'s world!" This, my friends, is quite a compliment. Not everyone merits an "Elmo's World" rip-off.)

At the risk of sounding fawning, it was just so cool to meet Phantom in person. I hope we'll be able to do it again.

(Well, this post was kind of anti-climactic, huh? If you want to go read Phantom's version again for its superior narrative structure and entertaining writing style, I won't be the least bit offended!)