Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Brotherly Love


Give it to me straight: Is 3 too young for an older brother to begin Operation Torment Younger Sister?

For the most part, I think Sean and Allie get along well. They often play together, and they make each other laugh all the time. Allie in particular loves her big brother -- if mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery, she is nearing idolatry heights. Their bickering usually centers on toys, and the lack of sharing thereof. This I anticipated.

What I was not prepared for at this age was Sean's utter delight in pestering his sister. He'll start off innocently enough by hugging Allie. Then the hug turns into a boa-constrictor squeeze, or a tackle, or both. Allies screams her little head off at this -- anytime I hear that sharp, distinctive cry, I can immediately identify the situation as "Sean is bothering me!" Which does save time on detective work. Also helpful is the fact that Sean readily admits the transgression.

I thought I would have a few more years before the Sibling Wars began. I'm not too familiar with those skirmishes myself -- my sisters are 11 and 9 years older than me, and although they fought like cats and dogs, I have never had so much as argument with either of them. (Hmmm, do you think that might have something to do with my fear of confrontation?)

I'm hoping this is all just normal and not a sign that Sean will turn into the older brother in The Wonder Years. Most of the time he's sweet and affectionate, but I worry a little nonetheless.

Next up: Seeking Solutions for Allison's Current Nap Strike . . .