Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Back


Remember when I said that I didn't think that the sleepaway component of traveling wouldn't be so bad this time around?

Hahahahahaha!

But wait. Before I launch into a brief recapitulation of the stressful aspects of our trip, let's start, uncharacteristically for me, with the positive:

-- Great time with the in-laws. Sean and Allie love all the attention they get from their grandparents, aunts, and uncle. And vice-versa.

-- Nearly unprecedented kid-free time for Jeff and me: Jeff went to the movies and played golf; I went to dinner with my sisters-in-law and soon-to-be sister-in-law; and we both went to a Pirates game. This last outing was a little strange -- it was the first time that Jeff and his siblings and their spouse/fiance/boyfriends had gone out as a group. Since Jeff's youngest sister was 3 when we started dating, I'm still having a bit of trouble wrapping my arms around the idea of a quadruple date!

-- A tiny local parade proceeded past Jeff's parents' house on the 4th, and Sean was completely enraptured by all the firetrucks in the parade. The pinnacle of excitement for him was receiving a firefighter's hat from the one of the firemen driving a truck. He was just thrilled with this flimsy plastic hat (and was so cute I have to share a picture).

Now, back to classic Mimilou complaining.

-- Allison is not the most adept of travelers. Adjustment is not part of her vocabulary. She had so much trouble falling asleep each night -- 11:00 p.m. was the average, and not after a high level of intervention. Oh, and she wouldn't nap. The result was one cranky girl. Her daughter wasn't too happy, either.

-- I must do substantial repentance for my poor diet during our trip. Between the fast food consumed at the rest stops on the turnpike and the indulgences I indulged in over the weekend (think regular soda and donuts), I feel the need for a strict regimen of spinach salads and water.

The long car trip went reasonably well. On the way home we had small insurrections over the endless sitting in car seats, but we managed okay. To cap things off when we got home, Allison dove straight into a protracted bout of hysteria and didn't fall asleep until 10:00.

Yes, it's good to be home again.