Tuesday, May 17, 2005

In case you were wondering, I'm giving this stay-at-home/work-at-home gig two thumbs up.

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I had thought I would. There are definitely moments of pure frustration, but overall, I'm pretty happy. I'm still trying to find a better rhythm to the working part of this equation -- right now, I work two days a week at home, but that doesn't seem to be quite enough time to finish any given project. So I find myself squeezing in work after the kids go to bed and on weekends, times during which I am not accustomed to activities such as thinking. I have to patiently sit by while the two sides of my brain wage their recurring battle:

Lazy side: Sleep!
Dedicated professional side: Edit!
Lazy side: No, I'm tired. Right after I read 40 of my favorite blogs, I must go to bed.
Dedicated professional side: Umm, excuse me, but do you recall that enormous manuscript we agreed to edit? Suck it up, sweetie.

The urgency of the deadline determines the victor. Tonight, for example, I sit comfortably and view a deadline that is 2 weeks away. Lazy Brain wins!

Yes, yes, I know, the stay-at-home part of the equation needs to be addressed as well. Stay tuned! The next post is coming right up. (Assuming you define "right up" as "sometime between Thursday and Saturday".)