Saturday, November 20, 2004

Back to One of the Ostensible Topics at Hand

Apparently this blog is also supposed to discuss books. No, really---it says so right at the top of the page.

I could, of course, post some pretty cogent analyses of The Little Engine That Could or that other classic, Squirt the Fire Truck. When you read a certain text over and over again, and then some more, the insights you glean can be eye-opening. For example, why are all the big, tough trains in The Little Engine male and the small, weak trains female?

As I may have whined about before, though, my time for reading grown-up books continues to collapse in upon itself.

But now, I can proudly announce that I have finished a whole entire book! Two nights ago I wrapped up The Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian. And guess what?

I have NOTHING to say about it---I can't even muster up a pithy criticism. It was that bland. This makes me cranky. If I'm going to devote 10 minutes a night to a book, it had better be pretty darn spectacular. Perhaps I should not have stuck with it, but some perverse tenacity compelled me.

Do you commit to finishing books that underwhelm you?